Obtaining a moped or motorcycle license in the UK opens up a world of freedom on the roads. Whether you're looking to zip around the city on a nimble moped or embark on thrilling adventures with a powerful motorcycle, acquiring the necessary license is the first step. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on how to get your moped and motorcycle license in the UK, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free process.
- Understand the License Categories:
The first step in obtaining your moped or motorcycle license is understanding the different license categories available in the UK. The licensing categories are as follows:
- Category AM: Covers mopeds and light quadricycles.
- Category A1: Allows riding motorcycles up to 125cc and power output up to 11kW.
- Category A2: Permits riding motorcycles with a power output of up to 35kW.
- Category A: Enables riding motorcycles with unrestricted power output.
If you passed your driving test before February 2001 you have the AM category on your license already, you are not required to do any further training and you can ride 50cc or 50cc equivalent mopeds and motorcycles on your driving license without L Plates and you can take a pillion passenger.
- Age and Eligibility Requirements:
To obtain a moped or motorcycle license in the UK, you must meet certain age and eligibility criteria. These requirements vary depending on the license category you are aiming for. Here's a quick overview:
- Category AM: Available from age 16.
- Category A1: Minimum age requirement is 17.
- Category A2: Minimum age requirement is 19.
- Category A: Direct access at age 24, or through progressive access at age 21.
- Compulsory Basic Training (CBT):
Before you can ride a moped or motorcycle on the road, you must complete a 1 day Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. The CBT provides essential knowledge and practical skills to ensure safe riding. It consists of five elements, including an introduction, off-road training, on-road riding, and theory components. Once you have completed the CBT you can ride mopeds up to 125cc and the CBT is valid for 2 years. You can renew it after 2 years or move on to your motorcycle test.
- Theory Test:
If you would like to continue your journey to a full motorcycle license, the next step is to pass the theory test. The test comprises multiple-choice questions and hazard perception clips. You can book your theory test online and prepare using official practice materials.
- Practical Tests:
To obtain a full moped or motorcycle license, you must pass both the Module 1 and Module 2 practical tests.
- Module 1: This off-road test evaluates your low-speed manoeuvring skills, including handling, control, and emergency stops.
- Module 2: The on-road test assesses your ability to safely navigate various traffic situations and demonstrate proper riding techniques.
Obtaining your moped or motorcycle license in the UK requires fulfilling age requirements, completing the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), passing the theory test, and successfully completing the practical tests. By following this comprehensive guide, you'll be well-prepared to embark on your two-wheeled adventures and enjoy the freedom of the open road.